Friday, November 14, 2014

Down the Rabbit Hole I went .............

Better known as Ancestry.com.... Oh my lord.. I think that site is worse than Pintrest.. Thought process is the same "Oh just one more document view, wait WHAT did that say.. Ok just 10 more minutes." Four freaking hours later and you are debating on if just a few hours of sleep is okay or is it better to not get any and go straight to work... For the record - get the few hours of sleep and go to the Starbucks drive through for a 55 gallon drum of coffee. Also - not that I am suggesting this - but Energy Now  pills help with that boost.


I still have NOT once single clue about my dad's side of the family, but my mother's side has just exploded.. I have found what appears to be my "gateway" ancestors - meaning the ones who immigrated - thing is I get stuck because I can't open documents that are not US documents.  Which begs the question - do you really have to pay the fee to search worldwide or is there somewhere else on the ol' internets where I can find this stuff??

What I have found so far is really cool..  Old civil war military draft cards, pictures of both people and grave markers. Birth, marriage and death certificates. I am just so fascinated by it all that its where I have spent the bulk of my free time this past week.  I am hoping that at some point there will be a spark that opens up my dad's side of the family.

I am also questioning what you add to your own history to be out there for your 6th time great grand child to find. Like my first marriage, do I add it, it did happen, no children resulted just a metric shit ton of bad debt and horrible memories - but since it happened do you add it??? As much as I'd like to pretend it never occurred it did.

Then comes the question do you just add the person with the mention of the marriage and divorce and leave it at that or do you then add their family members? I see why you might but honestly you tore that limb clean off the tree and with no shared children why would you add the EX's family??

Would you add him? What about HIS family to YOUR tree??


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love ancestry.com . It sucks me in forever too. My dad's side is already traced for me because my cousins wanted to get their ancestry changed legally to Native American so my roots are traced all the way back to Alabama Cherokee territory there. I have enough Cherokee blood to identify that way too. My mother's side is harder because obviously, no one's done the work yet. I need to get back there to working on that. I'm pretty sure I'm a mix of Irish, possibly Scottish (unsure of that one), and German and some other Native American on that side. I really need to get back to researching my roots. I don't have the time at the moment though.

    As for adding your exes and what not, if you were legally divorced those documents are already on there if someone knows your name and date of birth etc., they will be able to find them. I found my mother and father's divorce papers and she has never been on ancestry.com. So I don't think you really need to add anything. If you are just talking about the family tree, I wouldn't add my exes just my current family. But that's just me. It really is interesting to discover where you came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,

      I'm so glad I am not the only one! I have purposely not loggged on since this weekend because I spent most of last week there!

      I did end up adding my ex - but not his whole family. My thought was - it happened, he was there but since the branch was severed I only added him. I still have found bupkis on my dad - which is super frustrating.

      I think its so cool you have traced back to the Alabama Cherokee territory. So far all that has popped up is that I am Irish and German - which I knew but its been cool as hell seeing passenger lists. Once I find a few more ancestors and determine which are actually the Gateway ancestors I will try looking at the Ellis Island databases.

      Delete

Wednesday Confess Sess

I can't wear heels anymore so I have turned into a sneakerhead.  My first pair of Adidas are due in today and I am beyond excited. I use...