Sunday, August 02, 2015

Bittersweet - A Book Review






Some have reviewed Bittersweet as "evoking Gone Girl" with its twists. I honestly don't think that applies.  I did enjoy Bittersweet, I will say there was only one plot twist that I didn't actually see coming. What the book did bring to light is not judging others by appearances only, and take care with whom you trust.

Parts of the story come off as a far reach, but set up any other way and the story would not have worked. I can forgive the reach, but only because I thoroughly enjoyed the researching of the back family story that Mabel, the protagonist does of her roommates family once she gets their Summer retreat. I will say that Bittersweet did make we long for a beach house in New England to relax on the porch at while I flipped through the pages and learned about the Winslows.

Mabel is a bit manipulative and hard to read, Ev is a classic “poor little rich girl” who is at times hard to take. I found my sympathy going back and forth between the two main characters; even at the end I don’t really have a favorite between, I find myself sympathizing with both of them.  I do think however, Mabel probably has it easier than Ev and is a happier person at the end of the book.

Bittersweet does expose the ultimate “What would you do and how far would you go to get what you want?”  It also poses the question and “Who would you step on to get there?” Would you regret it or is doing anything necessary worth your end result? How far would you go to protect your families past history?


I found Bittersweet to be a wonderful read. It is not a “fluffy” poolside light read and I would recommend finding an afternoon to dive fully into it instead of reading a chapter or two at a time.



I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something I Have Been Working On...

So I quit smoking!!  I did start vaping so the urge to smoke isn't there.  My nicotine level is so much lower than when I was smok...