Thursday, September 20, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts

I ended up in a Facebook political debate - yes I know and yes my eye is twitching like mad.

A friend of mine posted a petition that called for the DELAY, let us say that again DELAY of the votes for Kavanaugh and all hell broke loose.

I simply liked the post and gave my signature for support. Another friend of hers - a female made a comment that we are insane and that there is no good reason his confirmation should be withheld. Wait, what???  How about an investigation into the sexual assault claims? That is a GREAT reason to delay a vote on anything.

I made a comment to that effect and the statement "People are tired of rich white powerful men doing as they please" I was informed I am racist, a man-hater, I have issues with people having money and as of this morning insane. Y'all wonder why people don't report things...

Historically women reporting sexual assault are victimized all over again when they make the report. Her life choices are called into question, what was she wearing, how late was she out, did she have anything to drink, has she previously been sexually active, how much makeup did she have on? Then the all time - well she was asking for it. No, she was not. 

Women are raised to be constantly on guard toward men, we are taught what we wear can be distracting for them, how we laugh, how we eat, how we walk. We are taught from a very early age that we are "responsible" for the actions of men against us.  We are now saying NO, we are NOT.

How about teaching men to be responsible for their own actions. Teach them to control their own behaviors, emotions and responses?  There is not a man around who gets up in the morning thinking, I better not wear those pants, Julie in accounting may not be able to concentrate on the quarterly reports. He also is not thinking if I wear my hair this way, or this cologne does that say I am a slut?

Make NO mistake - there is not a woman on this earth who "asks" to be assaulted sexually or otherwise. I do not care how short her skirt is or what her make up looks like - that is NOT now or EVER will be an invitation to violate her.

For those wondering how after 35 years does she remember the details of the assault - let me assure you, a person who is assaulted - no matter HOW much time has past remembers. They live with that DAILY.  It is the one who assaults who gets fuzzy on the details and uses phrases like " Your Honour, I can't recall".

Professor Ford, I believe you and thank you for taking a stand. Despite knowing the backlash you and your family would receive. You deserve to be heard, not get death threats requiring your family to hide and security to be hired. Thank you for speaking up anyway.







post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday Musings - 6 Weeks into Stay at Home Orders

I seriously can not believe we have been "sheltering in place" for 6 freaking weeks now, and I say this as an "I'd rather...