With 2018 picking the theme of change and growth for me - this year I am choosing less. In the next few weeks, I will start looking in my closet and getting rid of the stuff that doesn't make me joyful. The clothes that I am hanging on to because "what if", or it was a gift or that was expensive.. Meh, if it is uncomfortable to wear, doesn't suit my style or make me feel like a trillion bucks when I put it on to the donation pile it goes. It does not matter what it costs if it never sees the light of day!
Same with unused gifts - I appreciate the thought in the gift, I truly do but that doesn't mean I signed up to haul it around for life. Once it's been gifted - the giftee may do as they please with it. Unfortunately, that may mean it gets a new home. I come from 2 generations of woman who are hoarders - I flat refuse to be one, the thought of stuff everywhere sets my anxiety off the charts. I'm just saying no.
I will also be culling all the paper I have sitting around - I have opted out of prescreening notices in the mail - that helps two-fold; less paper and less debt as I am saying NO to that as well - I do all my banking online and can get statements there if I need them I have signed up for paperless billing for all my utilities. I can get texted/emailed reminders that it is coming due. I log on to their website and pay it from there.. easy peasy.
I have also culled some friendships that were not true friendships. There is not one valid reason anyone should have to wonder who is a true friend and who is not. When the outside world is more than ready to take shots at you, you should never fear that it is happening from your own inner circle. I refuse to deal with that anymore, in a friend, in a relationship, in those who are supposed to be your tribe. It causes stress and heartache - both of which are also in the less category.
There are a few more things I will be adding in to the "less of" as the year goes on - I thought, however, I would start here. There is nothing worse than such a long list that a person gets overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it that they toss up their hands and throw in the towel before things even begin. Since most of this will be unlearning decades of behavior I thought starting here and adding on as the year goes by was a good way to begin.
What's your word this year?
No comments:
Post a Comment